Last Revised: April 27, 2011
This website is operated by Civic Alliance for a Sound Economy ("CASE", "we" or "us"). This
CASE with respect to your use of the casecampaigns.com Web site (the "Site") so you can make an informed decision about using the Site. We reserve the right to change the provisions of this Policy at any time. We will alert you that changes have been made by indicating on the Policy the date it was last updated. We encourage you to review this Policy from time to time to
make sure that you understand how any personal information you provide will be used.
What Is Personal Information?
As used herein, the term “personal information” means information that specifically identifies an
individual (such as a name, address, telephone number, mobile number, e-mail address, or credit card number) and information about that individual or his or her activities that is directly linked to personally identifiable information. Personal information does not include “aggregate” information, which is data we collect about the use of the Site or about a group or category of services or users, from which individual identities or other personal information has been removed. This Policy in no way restricts or limits our collection and use of aggregate information.
What Personal Information Do We Collect?
Active Collection: Personal information may be collected in a number of ways when you visit our
Site. We collect certain information you voluntarily provide to us, such as when you create an
account or sign up as a CASE member, sign up for an event, fill out a form, make a donation, make a purchase, send us an email, or sign up to receive email updates or to be a volunteer or host an event. Such information may include personal information, such as your name, mailing address, email address, phone number, and credit card information. Personal and demographic information may also be collected if you provide such information in connection with participating in any interactive forums or features that may from time to time appear on the Site, such as if you post comments or other content to the Site or create a profile. In addition, we may collect demographic, contact or other personal information you provide in connection with your participation in any surveys, promotions, and other activities on the Site. In addition, the Washington State Public Disclosure Commission and local municipalities as required by local laws may require us to collect certain personal information from donors or members of CASE.
Passive Collection: When you use the Site, some information is also automatically collected, such as your Internet Protocol (IP) address, your operating system, the browser type, the address of a referring web site, and your activity on our Site. We treat this information as personal information if we combine it with or link it to any of the identifying information mentioned above. Otherwise, it is used in the aggregate only. We may also automatically collect certain information through the use of “cookies” or web beacons. Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive at the request of a website. Among other things, cookies help us improve our Site and your experience. Information obtained from cookies and linked to personally identifying information is treated as personal information. If you wish to block, erase, or be warned of cookies, please refer to your browser manufacturer to learn about these functions.
How Do We Use the Personal Information We Collect?
We use personal information collected through our Site for the purposes described in this Policy or elsewhere on the Site. For example, we may use personal information we collect:
- to provide the services, products, or information you request, and to process and complete such requests and any related transactions;
- to send you confirmations, updates, information, alerts, and support and administrative messages and otherwise facilitate your participation in CASE and your use of, and our administration and operation of, the Site;
- to notify you about important changes to the Site;
- to send you newsletters and otherwise provide you with news or information about candidates, campaigns or issues or about our or third party events, activities, offers, promotions, products or services that we think will be of interest to you, such as sending you information to keep you informed about CASE and various campaigns, candidates, issues, events, activities, resources, promotions, products and services and about opportunities to support various candidates, campaigns and issues;
- to help connect you with other supporters, and to solicit volunteers, donations and support for CASE and for candidates, issues and organizations that we support;
- to make any disclosures that we are required to make;
- to contact you if other information is necessary under applicable laws;
- to request feedback and to otherwise contact you about your use of the Site;
- to respond to your emails, submissions, questions, comments, and requests and to provide customer service;
- to monitor and analyze site usage and trends, and to personalize and improve the Site and our users’ experiences on the Site, such as providing ads, content, or features that match your profiles or interests, and to increase the Site’s functionality and user friendliness;
- to notify and contact contest and sweepstakes entrants; and
- for any other purpose for which the information was collected.
We may store and process personal information in the United States and other countries.
What Personal Information Do We Share With Third Parties?
It is our policy not to share the personal information we collect from you through our Site with third parties, except as described in this Policy or as otherwise disclosed on the Site. For example, we may share personal information as follows:
- with vendors, consultants, and other service providers or volunteers who are engaged by or working with us and who need access to such information to carry out their work for us;
- by posting member names and affiliations as indicated by the member on the Site;
- to report required information to the Washington State Public Disclosure Commission and local municipalities as otherwise required by law;
- when you give us your consent to do so, including if we notify you on the Site, that the information you provide will be shared in a particular manner and you provide such information;
- when we believe in good faith that we are lawfully authorized or required to do so or that doing so is reasonably necessary or appropriate to comply with the law or legal processes or respond to lawful requests, claims or legal authorities, including responding to lawful subpoenas, warrants, or court orders;
- when we believe in good faith that doing so is reasonably necessary or appropriate to respond to claims or to protect the rights, property, or safety of CASE, our users, our employees, our volunteers, copyright owners, third parties or the public, including without limitation to protect such parties from fraudulent, abusive, inappropriate, or unlawful activity or use of our Site;
- in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, reorganization, acquisition, asset sale, financing or lending transaction or in any other situation where personal information may be disclosed or transferred as one of the assets of CASE.
We are not responsible for the actions of any service providers or other third parties, nor are we
responsible for any additional information you provide directly to any third parties, and we
encourage you to become familiar with their privacy practices before disclosing information
directly to any such parties. Nothing herein restricts the sharing of aggregated or anonymized
information, which may be shared with third parties without your consent.
If the Site has interactive features, you understand that when you use such features, information you post in any profiles, blogs, comments, forums or other interactive areas of the Site, as well as any information you share with individuals through the Site or share through social network sites, will be available to other users and, in some cases, may be publicly available. We recommend you be cautious about giving out personal information to others or sharing personal information in public or private online forums. We are not responsible for the actions of any third parties with whom you share personal information.
Links to Other Websites
What Steps Do We Take To Protect Your Information Online?
We take reasonable measures to protect your personal information in an effort to prevent loss,
misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. Please be aware, however, that despite our efforts, no security measures are perfect or impenetrable and no method of data transmission that can be guaranteed against any interception or other type of misuse.
What Choices Do You Have Regarding the Use of Your Information?
You may “opt out” of receiving email updates and newsletters by following the instructions in those text messages and emails. Please note that we may still send you other types of emails, such as emails about your use of our Site, or use information as otherwise described in this Policy, even if you opt out of receiving email updates and newsletters.
If you have any questions about this Policy, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.